Friday 19 December 2014

From life-threatening cancer to Cambridge University: an unconventional journey to the academic elite.

One of the first things you notice about Rachael is her hair. Flowing, slightly chaotic, and lightly brushed with split-ends. “I haven’t cut it since I was given the all-clear”, she says, “I don’t care what anyone says. It’s my hair, finally my hair, and I want to keep it while I can.” 

Rachael Flower (not her real name), a “proper Geordie”, was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was just twelve years old but her cancer has been in remission for the past three years. Rachael’s fighter spirit pulled her through the depths of the disease and her lustrous hair is not the only feat that she has achieved since leaving hospital.  The cancer survivor recently completed something she wouldn’t have thought possible at the beginning of her struggle: she graduated from Cambridge University.

According to statistics from Cancer Research, around 8,600 new cases of Leukemia are diagnosed every year. Only forty-five percent of those people will survive for at least 5 years after diagnosis. Rachael is at 9 years and counting.

Leukemia is the most common cancer in childhood but most children are ignorant about the symptoms and the disease. “I didn’t really have an understanding of the consequences when I found out”, Rachael says, “I didn’t really know much about it so I just hid it away. I was in denial for months, like most people. I wanted my life to stay as normal as possible so I only told, like, two of my friends to begin with.”

The disease had a considerable impact on her education and she started to miss school regularly because of the treatment she was receiving. Rachael took her GCSEs alone in hospital. “I did pretty shockingly”, she says. “I basically taught myself everything because in hospital there’s nothing really better to do.”
 
She decided to stay and do her A-Levels, despite the severity of her condition. “At the time”, Rachael says, “I thought, I’d rather do something and drop out because it’s too hard, rather than just sit around and think about the cancer.”

Thankfully, Rachael’s cancer began to go into remission at the beginning of sixth-form. Taking A-Levels and applying for university can be difficult in normal circumstances. Rachael decided to stretch herself and apply to Cambridge. “I didn’t want to, like, go somewhere really shit after everything I’d been through”, she remembers.

The application procedure marked the beginning of a new era for Rachael and gave her life renewed purpose. “I wanted to prove”, Rachael says, “that my life wasn’t that bad, that I could do something, and that my life had meaning. I wanted to prove my teachers wrong.”

At her Cambridge interview she was asked if she would be able to handle the workload. “I told them: ‘if I can survive cancer, I think I can probably handle Cambridge.’” She was given a place.

Getting into Cambridge helped her to finally beat the disease. “I thought to myself: ‘now I really do need to do this –I have to go to Cambridge.’ I felt like I’d actually achieved something and I had to see it through. I had a reason to go out.”

The transition to Cambridge and a relatively normal life wasn’t entirely smooth. She initially found it difficult to integrate into a student body that had largely come from a different background to her. “I think it was my accent”, she says, “they’re really well-mannered but I’m hardly Downton Abbey.”

“The work at Cambridge was a pretty intense transition too. I went from hardly being in school to being in every day.”

She survived her three years reading History and English Literature at Clare College, and she is about to return to the university in October to start a masters programme.

It is still difficult to talk about the cancer. “I don’t like to bring it up”, she says, “because as soon as I mention it, it’s such a downer and everyone goes silent and then I have to fill the silence, which is so awkward.”

There is still a tangible unease in Rachael about the cancer returning. Doctors are notoriously reluctant about giving cancer survivors the all clear. Rachel still keeps a close eye on all of the tell-tell signs, such as excessive bruising and continuous bleeding. “Every time I cut myself, I’m thinking, like, ‘please please stop’”, she says, “and if I have an unexplained bruise I get really nervous.

“You’re always on edge –well, at least I am.”

Her hair is the one thing that she can hang onto. As long as it is there she is still doing okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment